2017 NZ Artistic Gymnastics Championships
5th – 8th October 2017
Trafalgar Centre, Nelson
NZ Gymnastics Championships 2017
Nelson will play host to the NZ Artistic Gymnastics Championships, at the recently renovated Trafalgar Centre.
Gymnastics NZ will work alongside Gymnastics Nelson and the wider Top of the South community to deliver the event, where more than 500 young athletes, officials and volunteers and 1,500 spectators are expected to descend on Nelson for the event.
“Gymnastics Nelson is delighted to be hosting the Artistic Gymnastics Championships. To be able to use the Trafalgar Centre for the first time in three years for our provincial championships, just three months prior to the NZ Championships, is wonderful for all gymnasts, coaches and officials.” – Clinton Bloomfield, Gymnastics Nelson Club President.
“The Trafalgar Centre has undergone significant renovations to make the venue more seismic safe as well as to attract a broader range of major events so, for us and for our vibrant city, it is fantastic news that we have secured the NZ Artistic Gymnastics Championships for 2017.” – Brent Maru, General Manager Facilities, Sport Tasman.
Venue Trafalgar Centre
The Trafalgar Centre is Nelson Tasman’s largest multi-purpose spectator sports and events arena. Built in the early 1970s originally as a sports stadium, the Centre has a history of hosting major cultural and entertainment events, and exhibitions.
Just a 10 minute stroll to the vibrant city centre and a 20 minute ocean drive from the airport, the Trafalgar Centre has been recently earthquake strengthened and upgraded. It contains two key spaces, the main arena and the new northern extension.
Thursday 5 October
|1||STEP 7 Team & AA|
|2||STEP 7 Team & AA|
|U18 AA & Team
|3||STEP 8 & 9 Team & AA||Level 6 Team & Apparatus
& 8 Team & AA
|4||STEP 10, SJE, JI & SI|
Team & AA
|Senior Open AA & Team
Friday 6th October
|5||STEP 5 Team & Apparatus|
|Level 4 Team & Apparatus|
|6||STEP 5 Team & Apparatus|
|Level 5 Team & Apparatus|
|7||STEP 6 Team & Apparatus|
|8||STEP 6 Team & Apparatus|
|Level 7 & 9 AA & Team|
Saturday 7th October
|9||STEP 7 & 8 Apparatus Finals||Level 4 AA Final|
|10||STEP 5 AA Final||Level 6 AA Final|
|11||WAG Forum||Level 7, 8 & 9
|12||STEP 9, 10, SJE, JI & SI|
|U18 & Senior Open Apparatus Finals|
Sunday 8th October
|13||STEP 6 AA Final||Level 5 AA Final|
|14||Special Awards &|
|Special Awards &
Flying to Nelson
Getting to The Trafalgar Centre
Staying on in Nelson?
Stay a while in Nelson
- Visit the Abel Tasman National Park – Winter is often the best time.
- Browse Nelson’s famous Saturday Market.
- Nelson is NZ’s craft beer capital – follow the Beer Trail.
- Chill out at Tahunanui Beach.
- Visit local artist galleries.
- Ride the Great Tasman Taste Trail.
- Play Golf at Nelson’s Links.
- Visit some of Nelson’s fantastic wineries.
- Nelson City: options include the Admirals Motor Inn and the Kingsgate Motel, the Trafalgar Lodge & Emerald House.
- By the beach, Tahunanui (10 minute drive) motel options include; Abelia Motor Lodge, Arrow Motel, Ascot Lodge, Balmoral Motel, Courtesy Court, Driftwood Motel. Plus the iconic Tahuna Beach Holiday Park.
- Richmond & Stoke (10–15 minute drive) motel options include the Saxton Lodge, Boutique Motel, Arthur Wakefield Motor Lodge, Oxford Court and the Gladstone Motel.